During the morning hours on October 30th a horrific scene played out. As one child called her mother another child was found dead, which appears to be an accidental death caused by choking on a mixture of baby formula and baby cereal. The 20-year-old mother, Marissa Jean Moore was arrested on December 30th, 2017 and charged with, neglect of a dependent. From the reports that we have read it was admitted to CPS that the infant was being fed this mixture for two weeks. It was also admitted that the nipple used was either cut intentionally or by accident but never replaced due to the cost. It was also admitted that the infant had been sleeping in the same bed with the mother and a male subject. The official cause of death determined through an autopsy indicates, aspiration of food, unsafe sleeping with excess food in the airway of the infant.
The mother is being charged with neglect of a dependent which would indicate that the prosecutor believes this to be an accident. There is nothing more frightful to a parent then finding them selves in a situation like this. Unfortunately, statistics show that parents co sleep with children far too much. It is also known that infants should be held during feedings and you should never prop a bottle up allowing the infant to self-feed.
Is that what happen here? We don’t know. All we know are what the autopsy reports and the word of the mother and male subject. Could this have been avoided? Sure, it could have but unfortunately its to late. Does this mother and the family need the community’s prayers? Of course, they do. When something like this happens, it shatters the hearts of everyone effected. This family is going to need extended counseling. How can we move forward as a community? Do you know parents that co sleep or might have incorrect feeding techniques? If so, try to help educate them. Young parents keep an open mind when some one gives advice, hear that advice for what it is not as criticism but as love. Teenagers engaging in sexual activity please consider this story a warning to you. You may feel like an adult and think your ready to be an adult but remember you are still children your selves. You do not and should not be rising your own children as children.
If any one knows of a way that we as a community can help support this grieving family contact us at [email protected] and we will share information with our followers.
KCJB Moderator | 01-03-2018